Military Transition Roadmap – Step 3
Step 3: Communicate Your Value
Why is it important to communicate your value?
Communicating your value is extremely important in the job search process as it shows confidence in the abilities you gained through service.
Communicating your value is vital for:
- The interview
- Your resume
- LinkedIn profile
- Professional profiles on job boards
- Cover letter
- Other professional bios
Let’s Talk Resumes
Communicating your value on your resume is the most important thing because you need your resume to stand out and communicate your value with no further explanation needed. Your resume’s sole purpose is to communicate that you have the experience they are looking for and entice the hiring manager to set up an interview.
There are two basic resumes that hiring managers prefer, the functional resume and chronological resume. The most recommended resume type to use is the functional resume, although it is a good idea to have both on hand.
- Resumes should be no longer than two pages, no matter what
- Make sure that your accomplishments, competencies, impacts made, and bottom-line results can be easily and quickly identifiable on your resume
- Sample functional resume, click here to download
- Sample chronological resume, click here to download
- Sample cover letter, click here to download
Why doing the exercise is important?
Being able to communicate your value in many forms only shows potential employers that you care about the work you do and value your own skills and abilities. This helps set you apart from other candidates. Taking the time to write down and commit to memory what makes you valuable to a potential employer can turn any networking conversation into an employment opportunity.
Complete this exercise and you will have done the work needed to:
- Communicate your value on a resume
- Turn conversations into employment opportunities
- Complete a LinkedIn bio
- Complete professional profiles on job boards
- Complete professional bio for cover letters and other uses
- Pick a resume type and build out a master resume with information from Step 2 and 3
Download the Exercises