Starting a Business in Maryland
Question: How Do I Start a Business in Maryland?
Sometimes the best way to learn something new is by seeking advice from those who have been there. Asking questions is how we learn about new resources or can give us perspectives that we might never have thought about before. When you ask a question, you can gain the knowledge you are looking for that will help you figure out what you need to know to move forward, whatever the subject might be.
Starting a business can be a great career move. There are so many different types of businesses you can have. You can have a brick-and-mortar business, an online one, or a combination of both. You can have a product-based business or a service-based business. However, if you are going to start a business you need to make sure you do it legally. And depending on what state you live in, what you need to do could be different.
We live in Maryland and I am interested in starting a business. I don’t know too much about what I need to do to get started. I want to make sure I do everything by the book but I don’t have the budget for a CPA or a lawyer. What do I need to do and where can I go for help?
Starting a new business is a great day. Not only will you be able to make a living doing something you love, but you can build something that can last generations. There are definitely free and low-cost resources out there to help you.
- The Small Business Administration – The SBA was created in 1952 and helps small business owners and entrepreneurs pursue the American dream. They are dedicated to small businesses and provide counseling, capital, and contracting expertise.
The SBA also offers Small Business Development Centers. These are local centers you can go to for help in your area. You can search by zip code on their website.
- Institute for Veterans and Military Families – IVMF – IVMF’s mission is to empower service members, veterans, and their families through actionable research, innovative programs, and insightful analytics. They have programs for entrepreneurs, from how to get started, to growth, and more.
- AMSE – The Association of Military Spouse Entrepreneurs connects its 1,900+ members on a Slack channel. Here you can ask questions about getting started, how to get started in Maryland, and anything you might be curious about when it comes to starting a business. They also offer events as well as vetted resources. Mason Small Business Development Center– The Mason Small Business Development Center in Fairfax, VA, is sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Administration and GO VIRGINIA. They offer counseling, workshops, and other resources. They can give you a checklist in order to get everything legal done in your county as well as many other resources to help you get started with your new business.
- The state of Maryland. The state itself offers information for starting a small business:
We also have a few general resources on entrepreneurship at My Military Benefits.
- 7 Best Resources for Military Spouse Entrepreneurs
- Veteran Entrepreneurs Use Bunker Labs
- PCS Friendly Business Ideas
These resources should be able to point you in the right direction to help you start your business. Make sure to check all of your boxes, and set things up correctly. Reach out for help from other small business owners, and good luck with your new venture.