Retirees – Critical Targeting and Research of Organizations and Companies
Employment Guide: Retirees – Critical Targeting and Research of Organizations and Companies
When looking for a job as a retiree, you will want to make sure you are writing a targeted resume. Doing so means your resume will stand out and show any potential employer you have exactly what they are looking for. But beyond the resume, you want to make sure you are spending time targeting and researching organizations and companies that you want to apply for.
What type of organization or company are you looking for?
The first step is to ask yourself what type of organization or company you are interested in. What type of company do you see yourself at? Here are a few characteristics to think about:
- Size. There is a big difference between a bigger company and a smaller one. Do you want to be with only a few other coworkers, or would you rather work for a company with 100s or even 1000s of employees?
- Location. Where is the company located? Are they remote? If they are not in your area, would you consider relocating?
- Company culture. What type of company culture do they have? What are you looking for? Some companies are more laid back, and others are more rigid.
- What is the company’s mission? Is it something you agree with and want to focus on?
How do you find out information about an organization or company?
In order to do your research on different organizations and companies, you can start with their website. You can usually find their mission, a bit about their company culture, and other information that can be useful in figuring out which company to target. You can also search for reviews online or you can reach people you know who may have worked there.
What needs do they have that you can fill?
Another step to finding the right organization or company would be to ask yourself what needs they have, and how you can fill them. If they are currently hiring, what positions do you qualify for? Which ones are asking for skills and accomplishments that you have? Identifying how you can fill the needs of the company is important.
Are you the best fit for the job?
You want to make sure you are a good fit for the position you will be applying for. If you like what a particular company has to offer, know that you have the skills and knowledge to qualify for the job, and you also want to make sure you are a good fit all around.
Do your character traits and career goals line up with the position you are interested in? Can you see yourself working at that company? Being confident in this goes a long way in helping you not only write your targeted resume but also prepare for an interview, and land the job. They might even ask you a question about why you would be the right person for the job and you want to be prepared to answer accordingly.
- Do you have the right skills and experience for this job?
- Do you have the right education for this job?
- How will your experience in the military make you a good candidate?
- How does your personality make you a good fit?
We also have a vast list of companies to help you during your job search as a military retiree. You have a unique background and many companies specifically want to help you find your next job. You can view the list here and find two examples below.
- Ex-Military Careers – who help the military community achieve a successful transition from the forces into a civilian career. They provide support, training, development, and a job board.
- Mission Box Solutions – which is veteran owned and operated and provides one-on-one support through mentorship to prepare veterans, transitioning military members, and military spouses to be strategic in finding their next career.