SkillStorm Offers Tech Training For Transitioning Military Members
Since 2002 SkillStorm has been dedicated to accelerating opportunity in the tech field by conquering the skills gap to enable more individuals to get trained and launch careers for in-demand jobs. SkillStorm works with businesses and individuals to upskill employees and fill open positions. SkillStorm works with several government agencies seeking military talent, their career services include training programs and certification courses for transitioning military members.
SkillStorm doesn’t just provide certifications and training programs for the military community. They have a passion for making sure transitioning service members find employment. Through their “Hire. Train. Deploy” model SkillStorm connects veterans to career opportunities through their recruitment, career counselors, and one-on-one mentorship services. SkillStorm has a network of private companies, government contracting companies, and state and federal government agencies to ensure their program participants find lasting careers.
SkillStorm offers tech training no matter your experience or skill level. The goal is to help veterans and transitioning service members start a tech career. SkillStorm offers career paths for tech careers through their hiring and training programs. They also offer free and paid certificate courses in a variety of tech subjects.
- Emerging Tech: For those who already have a college degree or coding experience. The Emerging Tech program is a 10 – 12-week program that helps train and get certifications in cloud, cyber, development, and more.
- IT Apprenticeship program: For those who have no tech experience. The It Apprenticeship program is a hands-on 12 – 36-month DOL program where program participants start in a help desk role and end by becoming certified tech professionals.
- VET TEC program: A 16-week online or in-person training program that is approved for VA funding.
- Industry certification courses: Courses are online, instructor-led courses offered by school partners and the Army and Air Force COOL programs. Courses can be completed in 4 – 8 weeks. Certifications include AWS, Appian, Salesforce, Pega, and CompTIA.
Free Online Courses:
- Introduction to Coding
- Programming in Java
- Data Structures
- Introduction to AWS
- View more courses here
- Active-duty service members
- Transitioning service members
How to Apply
- Hiring Programs: You will need to apply for the hiring program you want via SkillStorm’s website. You will need to provide your clearance level, the highest level of education, military branch, and if you are open to relocation.
- Training Programs: To enroll in the Vet Tech training program, you will need to submit your contact information, military branch, and military status and someone will contact you to start the Vet Tech program and provide the next steps.
- Free Online Courses: If you want to take advantage of SkillStorm’s free introductory online courses, you must create an account to start taking the courses.
Most of SkillStorm’s programs and courses are free for military members. However, some online courses are not free. Courses can range from $600 to $2000. Paid courses have registration deadlines.
Career Insights – Engineering Technician
According to indeed.com, entry-level engineering technicians in the United States make an average of $63,000+ per year. The tech career field often comes with overtime work with many career data sites reporting that engineering technicians earn an average of $7,000 per year in overtime pay. Engineering Technicians with a bachelor’s degree can earn over $70,000 a year according to careerschoolnow.org.
Engineering Technicians are considered “support professionals” who support engineers by helping design systems, and equipment, and provide technical support for software issues. The tech career field is growing and can cross multiple industries, with private companies and state/federal government agencies looking for qualified and cleared professionals getting trained and certified in the tech industry can lead to a long-lasting career.
- Free Six Sigma Courses for Veterans & Military Spouses
- Military Transition Roadmap – Step 1
- Best Government & State Agencies that Hire Veterans
Never Miss Breaking News or Career Info for Veterans!
Receive GI Bill news, transition information, scholarship updates, and military and veteran discounts from CareerRecon!
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact