Team Development Resources and Learning
Your Employment Questions Answered: Team Development
Sometimes the best way to learn something new is by seeking advice from those who have been there. Asking questions is how we learn about new resources or can give us perspectives that we might never have thought about before. When you ask a question, you can gain the knowledge you are looking for that will help you figure out what you need to know to move forward, whatever the subject might be.
Team development is an important part of being a good leader. Having the skills to properly train and help your team is important. Some people don’t always feel totally equipped for this, even if it is their role. This question asks for more information on how to set yourself up as a leader when it comes to team management and development.
Question: Team Development
I am in a leadership role within a nonprofit. I am not sure where to begin when it comes to leading with regards to team management, facilitating team building sessions, and leading and maintaining our team culture. I haven’t had any training or education on these topics. Where do I begin?
Becoming educated on team development will teach you what you need to know that will help you in your new role. You can gain this education by taking courses and finding other trainings that are available to you both online and in person.
Since your new role seems to be in Organizational Development (OD). Organizational Development is the study and implementation of practices, systems, and techniques that would help an organization or other type of community change for the better. Being that this is your focus, it would be a good idea to take a look at courses that have to do with OD. Here are some examples:
- Designing the Organization – the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Organizational Behavior: How to Manage People – IESE Business School
- Leading Diverse Teams & Organizations – University of Michigan
- Organizational Analysis – Stanford University
- Organizational Leadership – Northwestern University
- Organization Development (OD) in Practice – Udemy
- Onward to Opportunity and Syracuse University (Free) – The Project Management Institute has an Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) – The certification focuses on leading dynamic teams.
You can also check out this list from Coursera:
Ideas For Training On Team Development Issues:
- Building High-Performing Teams
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Leading Teams
- Coordinating with Virtual Teams
- LinkedIN Learning
Team Building Skills and Facilitation
Team building skills and facilitation is a big part of team development. These resources can help your team grow, get to know one another better and find the best way to create a good work environment.
- 14 Best Team Building Training Courses & Classes
- Virtual Team Building Activities
- How to Build a Winning Team Culture: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Build A Strong Team Culture In Seven Steps
Reading an audiobook can be a great way to learn something new. Add these books to your reading list to learn more about team development and the skills that will help you become the leader you want to be.
- Unstoppable Teams
- Good to Great
- Start with Why
- Thinking Fast and Slow
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
- How to Lead: Wisdom from the World’s Greatest CEOs, Founders, and Game Changers
- The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy
- Best Practices in Organization Development and Change: Culture, Leadership, Retention, Performance Coaching
Other Resources On Team Building
- 8 Team Management Skills Every Leader Should Know
- The Core Skills Needed to Manage Your Team
- 7 Secrets to Effective Team-Training, Mr. Miyagi Style